Sunday, April 15, 2012

Modestly layer (lace!) and PJ pattern adjustments

As I mentioned in my previous post, the cowlneck top I made dipped a little too low.  I decided to sew in a permanent "modesty layer" so I don't have to wear a camisole under the top.
I went to Jo-Ann's and got 1/2 yd of two types of lace: eyelet lace on a band of some gathered white cloth (mildly ruffled), and heavier lace with a rose design.  When I got home, I undid the gathers, flattened by pressing, and sewed the two together to get a more opaque look.   Then I trimmed the lace to fit inside the cowlneck top and sewed it in.

How it looks from the front.



 Unfortunately I had miscalculated a little and lace was not wide enough to extend as low as I needed it to go, so I zig-zagged two pieces together.  Luckily you can't really tell from the outside, but you can see it from the inside:



I also started working on a flannel PJ set.  Looking over the pattern pieces (Simplicity 2317) I realized I needed to shorten the shoulders quite a bit.  It was harder than I originally thought it was going to be, because I had to adjust all the pieces that would be affected (it ended up being most of the pieces!) while keeping in mind how they are going to fit together.  Due to the shortening the front facing piece (#19) lost the angled part that will become the lapel of the collar, so I had to reconstruct that part.  I tried my best...we'll see if my pattern adjustments will work when I get to the sewing phase!


No comments: